By Norman J. Brouwer
Read or Download Steamboats on Long Island Sound (Images of America) PDF
Similar ships books
The sinking of the immense on her maiden voyage in April 1912 was once one of many defining moments of the 20 th century. Books and movies concerning the catastrophe that occurred the long-lasting liner are typical, and it kind of feels nearly not possible that something clean can emerge. yet there's one perspective that has no longer been lined, and giant Revisited examines the occasions of April 1912 from that perfectly new standpoint.
Robert Fulton equipped the world�s first commercially winning steamboat in 1807, however it was once no longer until eventually after the warfare of 1812 that those vessels entered provider alongside the big apple Sound. For 127 years, among 1815 and 1942, steamboats supplied a hyperlink among long island and towns in southern New England, vastly decreasing go back and forth time.
A couple of traces merely are essential to clarify the thing with which those volumes are positioned forth. there is not any glossy encyclopædia to which the green guy, who seeks tips within the perform of some of the British activities and pursuits, can flip for info. a few books there are on searching, a few on Racing, a few on garden Tennis, a few on Fishing, etc; yet one Library, or succession of volumes, which treats of the activities and interests indulged in by means of Englishmen—and women—is short of.
John Streckfus started his small Acme corporation in 1889 with one wood packet boat, the steamer Verne Swain, out of Rock Island, Illinois, wearing humans and items at the Mississippi River. His company grew, yet every year introduced pageant from the turning out to be railroads. He made up our minds that day trip boats have been the one strategy to compete.
- The Titanic: Historiography and Annotated Bibliography (Bibliographies and Indexes in World History)
- Discovering the North-West Passage: The Four-Year Arctic Odyssey of H.M.S. Investigator and the McClure Expedition
- Russian Warships in the Age of Sail 1696-1860: Design, Construction, Careers and Fates
- Ships and Science: The Birth of Naval Architecture in the Scientific Revolution, 1600-1800 (Transformations: Studies in the History of Science and Technology)
- The Fight for the Yazoo, August 1862–July 1864: Swamps, Forts and Fleets on Vicksburg’s Northern Flank
Additional info for Steamboats on Long Island Sound (Images of America)
Steamboats on Long Island Sound (Images of America) by Norman J. Brouwer